Coconut oil for me is a holy grail product when it comes to skin. It has numerous benefits and many different ways in which we can make use of it. It’s antibacterial and anti-fungal properties makes it good for medicinal purposes while it’s good skin penetration power makes it a great moisturizer. Though this might not be same for all, I totally love the smell of coconut oil 🙂
While some of the ideas are inspired from V’s suggestions as part of our long telephonic conversations, I am listing below 10 different ways in which I make use of coconut oil in my daily routine.
- Skin Moisturizer – Coconut oil provides great moisture and nourishment to our skin. Just mix some coconut oil with 1-2 drops of turmeric essential oil and use as a night time moisturizer to do away with dry and pigmented skin.
- Hair Conditioner – Coconut oil works as an excellent hair conditioner. Add some of it to any of your homemade hair masks and you don’t need to use a conditioner on your hair. I make a mixture of 1 ripe banana, 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1 tbsp curd and 1 tsp honey, blend it in a mixer to make a smooth paste and use it as a hair mask before taking shower, works wonders! Another way of using coconut oil as a conditioner is to take 2-3 drops of it, rub between your palms to warm up a bit and apply to towel dried hair at length avoiding the scalp. I love Coconut Dry Oil from The Body Shop to use this way. This leaves your hair shining, fragrant and way more easy to tame and style.
- Hair fall Rescue – Coconut oil works a great rescue from hair fall issues. In a pan, add 2 cups coconut oil, handful of curry leaves, 1 tbsp fenugreek seeds and half cup of castor oil and heat on low flame for 15 mins. Once cooled, transfer entire mixture in a glass bottle and use as a hair oil twice a week to say goodbye to hair fall problems.
- Body Moisturizer – Use coconut oil to deal with dryness of your body. Massage all over your body post shower for a moisturized skin. Add some brown sugar to coconut oil and you have a body scrub which exfoliates while nourishing your skin. Add some coconut oil to your bath water along with few drops of your favorite essential oil and soak in it for a beautiful glowing skin that loves you back!
- Diaper Rash Ointment for Babies – To simply avoid your baby going through irritation caused by diaper rashes, apply a generous amount of coconut oil at every diaper change from day 1 and you are good to go. Happy baby, happy mama!
- Baby Massage Oil – Nothing new about this one. Coconut oil has been trusted since ages to be used for massaging babies to strengthen their body and bones. Mix it with pure cow ghee (clarified butter) for added results.
- Stretch Marks Oil – Stretch marks are women’s age old friends specially after pregnancy. Coconut oil works wonders to help regain skin elasticity and fade away the stretch marks. For a stretch marks ointment, heat 2 cups of coconut oil with 1 cup aloe vera juice on low heat for good 20-30 mins, add a tsp of lemon zest as a preservative and massage this on your marks before going to bed. I am using this concoction for almost two months now and can see a visible difference in my stretch marks.
- Fade Away Scars and Marks – To fade away any new or old burn marks, acne scars or any kind of marks, use coconut oil religiously and they will get lightened over a period of time.
- For Healthy and fuller Lips – Use coconut oil on lips before going to bed to wake up to soft pink lips in the morning. Add some dried rose petals and Himalayan salt to this oil for an excellent homemade lip scrub.
- Makeup Remover – Use coconut oil as an ultimate natural makeup remover. To make it even more effective for those stubborn waterproof eyeliners and mascaras, use V’s DIY makeup remover tip and you will never need to buy a makeup remover again – DIY: Makeup remover
I hope you found this post useful in some or the other way!
A | XOXO