Back pain is most common type of chronic pain happening these days. Today, at besties, we try to cover some mistakes that we are making in our daily lives which can easily help us prevent back pain.
Problem: Slouching for too long can flatten the natural curve of spine leading to damage of the cushioned disks between the bones.
- Sit upright with your body supported against the back of chair and relaxed shoulders. Putting a pillow or a rolled towel between your lower back and seat gives that extra support to your back.
- Stretch and move your neck in all 4 directions every 30 minutes.
Problem: Tilting the head down in order to look at our device. As we tilt our head, we move our shoulders forward into a rounded position, yet another poor posture. This excess strain can lead to extra wear and tear on the structures of the neck, upper spine and back.
While using a mobile phone/tablet, raise your phone and bring the phone up to your eye level or just a little below your face.
Mattress and Sleep Posture
Problem: Sleeping on your back, on your belly and on a mattress which doesn’t suit according to your body can lead to back pain.
- Sleeping on your side with a pillow between your legs helps in taking pressure off your hips and lower back.
- If you sleep on your belly and it’s hard for you to switch positions, lay your head on a very soft pillow or none at all to keep your neck in the right position.
- If you are used to sleeping on your back, then put a pillow under your knees to keep the natural curve of your back.
Problem: Raised heels cause the legs to lean forward which throws off the positioning of the whole spine, and affects the cushioning function, leading to issues throughout the back.
- Higher the heels, higher the strain on the body. Limit the heel height, better to 2 inches.
- Vary your footwear choices by introducing flats and not wearing high heels daily.
- Add some extra cushioning with insoles for your feet.
- Stretch your leg muscles after a long day of wearing heels.
Lack of Exercise
Problem: Yet another cause of back ache is not exercising at all as it simply allows bone density to naturally decline with age.
Solution: Daily habits of walking, climbing stairs, swimming, cycling etc. can help protect the disks between the bones. You should make it a habit of taking a few steps after 30mins of sitting time.
These little changes if incorporated, can help a long way in avoiding back pain.
Stay happy, stay healthy!