Moringa (M. oleifera) is fast emerging super food which has it’s roots in South Indian cuisine. Popularly used in many South Indian recipes, moringa is obtained from drumstick tree or horseradish tree. Many parts of this tree are used in various medicinal areas and/or dietary supplements.
Moringa powder is basically prepared from leaves of drumstick tree. These leaves are exceptionally nutritious and can be added to diet for many health benefits. It helps in treating high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, anemia, arthritis, asthma and many digestive issues. The bark, seed, flowers and fruits are all useful in some or the other way. Although the safest option to use as a dietary supplement is the leaf powder. It has maximum amount of nutritional value and least side effects.
Also read – Chia Seeds – Health Benefits and Featured Recipe
As already mentioned, moringa has gained popularity owing to its exceptional nutritional value chart.
1 cup of chopped moringa leaves have:
- 2 gms Protein
- 19% of daily required Vitamin B6
- 12% of daily required Vitamin C
- 11% of daily required Iron
- 11% of daily required Riboflavin
- 9% of daily required Vitamin A
- 8% of daily required Magnesium
Apart from this moringa is packed with loads of micro nutrients and anti oxidants. These help in regulating healthy heart and blood. Moringa is supposed to have more Potassium than banana and more Vitamin C than oranges.
Also read – Beetroot : ‘Beet’ the odds!
- Provides vital micro and macro nutrients – Packed with so many vitamins and minerals, moringa powder qualifies as a great dietary supplement. In today’s fast paced life, most of us are deficient in many required micro and macro nutrients. While it is best to consume whole foods to do away with any deficiency, naturally derived supplements like moringa powder help achieve our goals faster where we fail to do so with natural methods.
- Rich in Antioxidants – Owing to loads of anti oxidants and free radicals, moringa powder aids in maintaining a healthy heart, regulates blood flow and helps keep diseases like cancer at bay.
- Maintains healthy bowel – Moringa is known to have laxative properties and has a curing effect of constipation and gastritis. Good amount of Vitamin B ensures proper digestion and hence helps in maintaining healthy bowel.
- Increases Strength and Stamina – The Iron present in moringa increases blood quality and Vitamin B6 helps converting food into energy faster and efficiently. Together these 2 factors increase physical strength and stamina with regular intake of this magical supplement.
- Keeps skin and hair healthy – While anti oxidants have their own positive effects of heart, enhanced look or skin and hair cannot be neglected. With regular intake of moringa powder, you can say hello to a beautiful and healthier you.
Also read – Why and How to Add Flaxseed in Your Diet
Recommended dose of moringa leaf powder is from 1/2-1 teaspoon.
Note : Try to opt for organic, non gmo products when they are to be taken in their raw form.
A small amount is to be used for a daily dose. You can add it to your smoothies, green tea, daal or just take in a glass of water. How you want to take it really depends how far you like the flavor. For me, smoothies are the best option to include any such ingredient. No changes in the taste and you get the required benefits.
Moringa powder is not known to have any extreme side effects. Although, taking precautions does’t harm.
- Pregnant women should avoid moringa as it has some anti-fertility properties.
- Due to its laxative properties, excessive intake can irritate bowel and cause diarrhea.
- People on blood thinning medications should check with their doctor before consuming moringa powder.
Also read – Turmeric: The golden powder
There are many varieties of good quality moringa powder available in the market. I love this one by Organic India. Check out the link to buy.
Moringa can be very beneficial for all ages provided it is taken in limits and on a regular basis. We hope you liked our post and found it informative. If you have any experience with moringa consumption, we would love to know!
Stay Healthy and Stay Active!
A | XOXO
Pin for later.