Do you follow every little skincare step that is trending these days and still don’t see enough results? Does your skin look dull and tired? Does our skin lacks luster and isn’t glowing? Adding Vitamin C to your skincare regimen might be a single solution for all your problems.
What is Vitamin C
Vitamin C is rich in antioxidants which is where it gets all it’s properties. Just like for our body, eating Vitamin C rich foods helps build immunity as the antioxidants fight the free radicals and repairs damaged cells, applying it topically reduces the damage done by skin, helps in cell regeneration process and improving the overall health and appearance of the skin. It is to be noted that Vitamin C only helps reduce the damage done by sun, it does not performs as a sun protection.
Also read – Know your Skincare Ingredients – Part 1
Benefits of Vitamin C
- Reduces sun damage – As mentioned above, due to its cell repairing properties, Vitamin C helps in reducing the damage done by sun to the skin.
- Solution for uneven texture– The regeneration process of cells that starts with regular use of Vitamin C brings out an even skin texture.
- Reduces dark spots and hyper pigmentation – Vitamin C inhibits the production of melanin due to which dark spots and hyper pigmentation are significantly reduced.
- Reduces uneven skin tone– Regular use of Vitamin C reduces dark spots and hyper pigmentation resulting in more even skin tone.
How to Add Vitamin C to Skincare Regime
Today, Vitamin C is available in all kinds of skincare items be it masks, toners, cleansers, moisturizers and even face oils. The way to ensure you are getting all of its is to apply it in a serum form. Serums penetrate deeper into the skin and hence, are more performance based. Also, combining Vitamin C with other antioxidants like Vitamin E is a considered to be even more effective. So if you come across a product that contains both of these, definitely consider it.
Another interesting way to add Vitamin C is through powders available in the market. These are definitely the most stable form of Vitamin C and have less chances of going bad over a period of time. You simply take the required amount of the powder and mix it in your usual serum/moisturizer. Apply as you normally do. Brands like The Ordinary and Neogen Dermalogy carry these powders. It might seem a little extra effort to take the product and mix but I do find it effective worth it.
Ingredients to look for
Vitamin C is very unstable by nature. The ingredient to look for while buying a Vitamin C products is L-ascorbic acid. This is the most stable yet effective form of Vitamin C in skincare. It effectively penetrates the skin barrier and does not irritate the skin for most people.
Vitamin C is extremely potent and may cause rash/redness to sensitive skin. It is a good idea to start with a low concentration of L-ascorbic acid (like 5%) and gradually go upto 15-20% concentration. 5% concentration is known to be safe for all skin types including sensitive skin.
Also read – Physical and chemical sunscreen – Pros and Cons
Things to note about Vitamin C
- Vitamin C breaks down on sun exposure. For this reason, a good Vitamin C will be packaged in a dark bottle or sun protected bottle.
- Due to its instability, Vitamin C can go bad very quickly. You want to be regular with its usage once you open a bottle and use it up before it is too long. Also, if you are like us who love to stock up on their skincare products whenever given a chance, do not do this for Vitamin C.
- While all these active ingredients benefit our skin, it is always a good idea to give our skin a break from them from time to time. Once over with one bottle, wait for a couple of weeks to start with another.
- If using Vitamin C in daytime, using an SPF after applying Vitamin C would be a great way to ensure that the ingredients get to do their work without any distraction.
I absolutely swear by Vitamin C and cannot consider my skincare regime complete without a good Vitamin C serum. I hope this post gave you some new information and that it helped you cater to your skincare issues in a informed way.
Below are some of our trusted Vitamin C products.
A | XOXO
Pin for later