Kalakand, which is a mixture of milk, paneer and sugar is one of our all time favourite Indian sweets and is specially craved for during the festivals. It is difficult to find freshly made Kalakand when you stay far from India and it being one of my husband’s favourite Indian sweets, I thought of giving it a try myself.
As like most of Tarla Dalal recipes, this one turned out to be really good and is surely what BN recommends.
Indian sweet made out of solidified, sweetened milk and panner(cottage cheese).
- 2 and 1/4 cups fresh grated paneer(cottage cheese)
- 1 and 1/2 cups milk powder
- 1 and 1/2 cups fresh cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp almond and 1 tbsp pistachio (garnishing)
- Combine all the ingredients except cardamom powder in a non-stick pan and mix well. Cook on a medium flame for 15mins till the mixture thickens and leaves the sides of the pan. Keep on stirring continuously, scraping the sides of the pan.
- Remove from the flame and add cardamom powder. Mix well.
- Transfer the mixture into a greased dish (7″) and spread evenly.
- Garnish with almond and pistachios(cut into thin slices) and pat it slightly so that they stick to the mixture. Keep aside to cool and set for atleast 3hours.
- Cut into pieces while serving.